This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
Fax : 0865756437
The closing date is on 30.10.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet Freight Rail
Position Title : Chief Administrative Official
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Blue Train
Location : Cape Town
Reporting To : Reservations Manager
Grade Level : H1X
Reference Number : 50015907
• To sell The Blue Train through Tour Operators, Travel Agents, Corporates and direct customers.
• To ensure its profitability and grow market share in the International and Local Markets.
• To convert telephonic and electronic enquiries into definite bookings.
• Form and establish relationships with major tour operators / travel agents and International Representative/s.
• Monitor & report trends for all Key Accounts. Compare figures of sales of current month with previous year.
• Processing of requests for accommodation on The Blue Train as received by walk-ins and e-mails from tour operators,
travel agents and prospective guests worldwide.
• To market The Blue Train as the preferred Luxury recreation in South Africa
• Assist with request received from all operators / agents/direct clients
• Attend to enquiries received via e-mails, facsimile and telephonically in a professional manner
• Bookings are made according to the client’s request and that all information entered is correct as requested.
• Request/send reminders & receive payments for all individual clients & groups booked on The Blue Train & groups for Key
• Draw arrival by status report on a daily basis to send payment reminders to travel agents, tour operators and direct clients
to ensure that payments are received timeously.
• Check In and Check Out of Guests on arrival and departure.
• Prepare train plans and documentation relevant for each departure and to check-in and check-out guests on arrival and
• Welcome guests prior to boarding.
• Ensure payment credit card slips are signed where applicable.
• Hand over boarding pass and relevant documents.
• Make a copy of the guests’ passport/s.
• Inform train Manager of any changes.
• Assist guests with transfers and information where required.
• Attend to enquiries via e-mail, facsimile & telephonically.
• To assist all clients / operators with timeous confirmations and to convert every possible enquiry into a confirmed booking.
• Manage & reconcile rebates and special rate allocations for market representatives.
• Ensure that record is kept of rebates and special rate allocations updated per market segments.
• Management reporting / monthly reports.
• Report on Country stats, check-in procedure, logging sheet of daily tasks, payment update reports, market rebate allocation
reports for The Blue Train representatives, database updates and monthly reports.
Qualifications & Experience:
• The applicant must have a Grade 12 certificate.
• 3 year Diploma/Degree in Hospitality/Tourism/Marketing/Communications and at least experience within a Reservations
environment, preferably within the luxury Hospitality and /or Tourism Industry.
• Must have experience of the different markets (local as well as international) within which The Blue Train operates as well
as an in depth understanding of the different cultures.
• The applicant must be fluent in English (other languages will be advantageous) written and verbal, impeccable telephone
• General computer literacy (Word, Excel, E-mail / Internet etc) compulsory.
• The incumbent must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Attention to detail is essential.
• The applicant must be willing to work flexi hours in order to meet business needs.
• Code (B) driver’s licence.
• Impeccable telephone etiquette
• Previous Experience in Tourism Industry will be an advantage
• Advanced Excell training / knowledge & experience.
• General computer literacy is essential (Word, E-mail, Internet etc).
• Superior level of verbal and written communication ability that does justice to the Icon status of The Blue Train
• Ability to remain calm and professional in any situation
• Product (The Blue Train) and in depth knowledge of the luxury tourism and travel industry
• Excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
• Good memory
• Time management / Planning
• Problem Solving
• Computer literate a must
• Stress Handling
• Fault finding / Attention to detail
• To be able to work as part of a team as well as independently
• Report writing
• Safety orientated
• Quality awareness
• Open minded
• Desire to improve
• Results orientated
• Work independently
PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent. Please report any
suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.
NB: The candidate must meet the minimum inherent health requirements of the job.