Graduate Internship: Monitoring and
Evaluation of Energy Efficiency Projects
GIZ Programme: Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings and
Infrastructure Programme (EEPBIP), support to SANEDI
Reports to: Programme Manager: Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings
and Infrastructure Programme (EEPBIP)
Duration Six (06) Months
A. RESPONSIBILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Main Outputs for the internship
The intern will be be providing technical support in the development of a Monitoring and Evaluation
System for public sector energy efficiency projects – their tasks will therefore comprise support to
following activities, but not limited to:
• Support the establishment of data collection and analysis processes, and data integrity
requirements, including the development and review of data templates;
• Data collection and formatting of primary data from energy efficiency projects;
• Support the establishment of operational processes for data transfer to other key
departments (DEFF, DPME etc);
• Support in the finalisation of Terms of Reference for the procurement of a Monitoring and
Evaluation System and support the appointed service provider in the development of the
• Preparation of briefing reports on Monitoring and Evaluation of public sector energy
• Conducting and supporting research activities as and when required on technical projects
and data support.
- PROJECT BACKGROUND
The Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings and Infrastructure Programme (EEPBIP)
aims to employ a South African graduate for the purpose of an internship. The EEPBIP,
funded by the NAMA Facility, supports the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy
(DMRE) in scaling-up energy efficiency projects in public sector institutions.
The Job description below is for an intern to be employed to support SANEDI in their
activities in the establishment of a Monitoring and Evaluation system for energy efficiency
project identification for municipalities, provinces, national government and State-Owned
Entities. The position will be based at the SANEDI offices in Sandton, Johannesburg.
B. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES AND EXPRERIENCES
• A Undergraduate degree in an area related to: monitoring and evaluation, energy,
engineering, data science or related subject.
• Candidates in the possession of, or in progress of completing a postgraduate degree will
• Minimum of 1 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation of energy related
• Experience with project management;
• Experience working with public sector institutions;
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written English);
• Excellent MS-office skills (outlook, power point, word, excel);
• Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal supervision.
Other Knowledge and Additional Competences
• Knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation principles and processes is essential;
• Knowledge of a range of energy efficiency technologies, including small-scale
embedded generation, will be advantageous;
• Knowledge of Measurement and Verification of energy savings will be an advantage;
• Knowledge of data science or similar disciplines will be preferable.
- C. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
• This Internship will be based at the SANEDI offices in Sandton, Johannesburg;
• The internship period for this position is only six (06) Months.
- D. APPLICATION PROCESS
Suitable candidates may apply by submitting a motivational letter and detailed CV indicating
their nationality, with the job title quoted as a subject line for the attention of Head of Unit:
Human Resource. Application must be submitted by following this link:
Closing date for applications: 09 June 2020
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed!
Applications without a motivational letter will not be considered!