Posted on May 3, 2020 by admin
Job Specification & Recruiting Profile of Vacancy
The following vacancy exists at NSFAS in Cape Town.
Position: Occupational Health and
Type & Grade: Grade 8 (Permanent)
Vacancy No: 4 of 2020/21
Department & Unit: Facilities Management
Reporting to the Facilities Manager, the successful incumbent will be responsible for maintaining a
healthy and safe working environment for all NSFAS employees in compliance of the Occupational
Health and Safety Act, related legislation and guidelines, and to ensure that all the rules and regulations
that apply to the health and safety in the work place are met and adhered to by all working or entering
the workplace environment.
In addition, the successful applicant will be required to ensure that the NSFAS premises is hazard-free,
conduct safety checks on work areas and equipment, takes steps to mitigate risks in the future and
keep abreast of current occupational Health & Safety legislation and requirements to ensure
The Occupational Health and Safety Officer duties will include but is not limited to:
• Assist with the development of environmental health and safety policies, standard operating
procedures, training sessions and general environmental health and safety information.
• Developing, implementing, and improving the health and safety plans, programmes and
procedures in the workplace.
• Participate in the identification of environmental health and safety issues, deficiencies and
hazards by periodically inspecting the workplace.
• Bring identified issues, deficiencies / hazards to the attention of the person responsible for the
area & or item.
• Assist as necessary to ensure that the issues, deficiencies or hazards are resolved.
• Ensure that monthly inspections of fire extinguishers, hose cabinets and first aid kits are
• Assist the department by following up on any deficiencies noted during inspections to ensure
they are corrected by those responsible for the area or the item.
• Assist managers with the preparation and completion of incident/accident and other reports to
ensure they are submitted in a timely manner.
• Conduct safety drills and train staff to deal with any kind of emergency
• Assist in investigating accidents or injuries that occur in the workplace.
• Assist in the establishment of workplace safety and health committees
• Liaise with management, staff and trade unions on various aspects of Health and Safety.
• Ensuring compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, related legislation and
• Identifying OHS-related training needs in the workplace and assist with safety drills and train
personnel to deal with any kind of emergency
• Conducting safety inspections and risk assessments.
• Investigate accidents and injuries that occur in the workplace.
• Liaise with management, staff and trade unions on various aspects of Health and Safety
• Reporting on OHS-related activities.
• Guide employees on Health and Safety matters
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• A three year post matric qualification in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Health
and Safety, Safety Management or related qualification
• 5 years’ experience in a similar role within a Corporate environment
• Valid driver’s license
• Knowledge of OHS Act and related legislation
• Certificates in Health and Safety, First Aid and Fire Marshal/Evacuation
Beneficial skills and experience:
• Health & Safety Audits
• Health and Safety meetings
• Hazard Identification Risk Analysis
• Inspections and Statistics
• Planning, coordination and execution
• Auditing and inspecting
• Organizing and presenting information
• MS Office proficiency
• In-depth knowledge of applicable legislation
• Effective judgment and decision-making
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain effective work relationships.
• Knowledge of workplace safety and health issues.
• Knowledge of the interface between labour and management in the workplace
REMUNERATION & BENEFITS
R 443 449 to R 522 363 per annum
Total Cost to Company per annum inclusive of all benefits and company contributions.
Closing date: 12 May 2020
Interested applicants should send detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of academic qualifications and
names of three contactable referees to Ms. Nokulunga Mtse via email email@example.com.
NSFAS do not consider late applications. Staff on Leave must ensure that they check the NSFAS portals for
advertised vacancies and familiarize themselves with the respective closing dates.
NSFAS only corresponds with Shortlisted Candidates. If you do not hear from NSFAS within 2 months of the
closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
** NSFAS committed to employment eq
Was this helpful?
0 / 0