Internship programme – Community Healthcare Workers
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre is an implementing agency
of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) in respect of health, wellness and
development of students and staff at 26 public universities and 50 technical and vocational education
and training (TVET) colleges, with some 400 campuses across the country. The organisation is a
national force for youth development, inspiring and enabling students to safeguard their health and
wellbeing and pursue opportunities for personal growth and social responsibility.
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre aims to contribute to the
success of the higher education and training sector by:
• Improving the health and psycho-social wellbeing of students, thereby enabling larger numbers
of students to complete their studies and graduate in sound health.
• Enriching the knowledge and skills students acquire in relation to health, mental wellbeing and
social development, and preparing them for career and family responsibilities.
• Creating a campus environment that is conducive to student health and wellbeing and offers
structured opportunities for their personal development.
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre invites applications for the
x25 Community Healthcare Worker Interns at the following provinces:
• x6 KwaZulu Natal (4 eThekwini and 2 Majuba)
• x6 Gauteng & North West (based in Centurion)
• x2 Limpopo (based in Polokwane)
• x2 Mpumalanga (based in Nelspruit)
• x2 Free State (based in Bloemfontein)
• x4 Eastern Cape (2 PE & 2 Mthatha)
• x2 Western Cape (based in Cape Town)
• x1 Northern Cape (based in Kimberly)
This internship programme is aimed at upskilling and empowering individuals in healthcare work. The
primary role for the CHW is to educate student community & staff members on a variety of health
issues and available community programs. During the programme, interns will attend various learning
intervention on Health & Wellness and work closely with the Registered Nurses.
• Minimum for contracted is Grade 12 (Standard 10);
• Must be in possession of HIV finger pricking certificate;
• Undergoes training for multi-skilling x24 months inclusive of practical;
• Previous volunteer exposure as CHW;
• Good verbal and written communication skills;
• Computer Literate;
• Basic microsoft package proficiency.
Duties & Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Screening of COVID19, HIV, TB. STI, Family planning, Mental Health, GBV through
questionnaire and app-based screening tools.
• Screening of other health related cards for compliance or default;
• Health Promotion and Education at campus level;
• Identify areas of potential danger or hazard and report to Campus Management & Higher
• Initiate and support on campus based Higher Health projects;
• Liaison between campus community and campus management, Higher Health authorities and
• Data reporting on student & staff health status daily, weekly & monthly;
• Advocacy and Marketing of Higher Health programmes at campus level;
• Community mobilization against diseases and ill health through awareness campaigns, health
promotional material, word of mouth, role modelling, etc;
• Counselling, support, passionate caring, stress relief etc.
The interns will be received a monthly stipend for the duration of the contract.
Interested candidates should please submit a one-page letter of motivation, CV and the names
and contact details of at least three traceable referees, by close of business on 04 May 2020 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org OR HR@higherhealth.ac.za
In your cover letter, please indicate province by order of preference. Preference will be given
to candidate’s resident in the district/metro where a position is based.
The position is subject
to availability of funding and Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and
Development Centre reserves the right not to make an appointment.