The National Library of South Africa wishes to make the following appointments at its Pretoria and Cape Town Campuses:
Safety Officer X 2
Salary scale (R415 796 – R484 019)) Total Cost-To-Company
The objectives of the National Library are to contribute to socio-economic, cultural, educational, scientific and innovative development by collecting, recording, preserving and making available the national documentary heritage and promoting an awareness and appreciation thereof, by fostering information literacy, and by facilitating access to the world’s information resources.
We are inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for appointment on a permanent basis. One successful candidate will be based at our Pretoria Campus and one at our Cape Town Campus.
• Three-year qualification in Safety Management or a related qualification
• SAMTRAC Certificate will be an added advantage
• Minimum of three years of experience as a Safety Officer
• Incident Investigation skills
• High level of accuracy and attention to details
• Good interpersonal and communication skills • Ability to develop comprehensive reports
• Ability to perform under stressful conditions
• Ability to work well in a team
• Stress management skills
• Effective organisational skills
• Ensure that all Health and Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and regulated, reviewed, updated and communicated.
• Develop, implement and manage injury / illness / accident prevention programmes and direct and co-ordinates the participation of various programmes within the NLSA.
• Conduct regular safety audits, including inspection of facilities, work areas, equipment, work practices and safety devices to ensure compliance with required work place safety standards and regulations.
• Report findings to the Administration and Facilities Management Unit and recommend changes to establish safe working conditions.
• Prepare and present quarterly Health and Safety Reports, and maintain proper documentation to conform with record keeping requirements of the OHS Act.
• Ensure that all service providers and contractors working on the NLSA’s premises, comply with all relevant Health and Safety policies and regulations.
• Ensure that the NLSA’s buildings, in particular the rented venues comply with Health and Safety policies and regulations.
• Ensure that every user of the rented facilities, where required, comply with all relevant Municipality By-laws, Health and Safety policies and regulations.
• Establish and maintain Health and Safety teams within the NLSA as required by the OHS Act and its regulations; ensure that Health and Safety training records are kept.
• Conduct fire drills and incidents investigations.
• Participate in monthly meetings when required to report on relevant Health and Safety matters.
• Perform any other act that will enhance the health and safety of the NLSA’s staff, visitors, contractors and library users.
The NLSA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and reserves the right not to make an appointment. Appointments will be made according to our Employment Equity requirements. We encourage applications from people living with disabilities in particular. Prospective candidates will be subjected to competency assessments.
Applications: Interested applicants must submit a covering letter, Curriculum Vitae, proof of qualifications and a copy of Identity Document by e-mail to: email@example.com.
Please ensure that you quote the reference number and the position in the subject line of your email. No applications from recruitment agencies will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: 14 February 2020
Should you not receive any correspondence / communication from the National Library of South Africa one month after the closing date, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.