Registered Nurses – Entry Level
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre is an implementing agency
of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) in respect of health, wellness and
development of students and staff at 26 public universities and 50 technical and vocational education
and training (TVET) colleges, with some 400 campuses across the country. The organisation is a
national force for youth development, inspiring and enabling students to safeguard their health and
wellbeing and pursue opportunities for personal growth and social responsibility.
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre aims to contribute to the
success of the higher education and training sector by:
• Improving the health and psycho-social wellbeing of students, thereby enabling larger numbers
of students to complete their studies and graduate in sound health.
• Enriching the knowledge and skills students acquire in relation to health, mental wellbeing and
social development, and preparing them for career and family responsibilities.
• Creating a campus environment that is conducive to student health and wellbeing and offers
structured opportunities for their personal development.
Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and Development Centre invites applications for the
position of 20 Entry Level Registered Nurses at the following provinces:
• x4 KwaZulu Natal (2 eThekwini and 2 Majuba)
• x3 Gauteng & North West (based in Centurion)
• x2 Limpopo (based in Polokwane)
• x2 Mpumalanga (based in Nelspruit)
• x2 Free State (based in Bloemfontein)
• x4 Eastern Cape (2 PE & 2 Mthatha)
• x2 Western Cape (based in Cape Town)
• x1 Northern Cape (based in Kimberly)
The primary focus of this role is to promote health & wellness to students. The incumbent will be based
at TVET’s or Universities and will be required to travel to different campuses in urban and rural based
colleges. He/she must be knowledgeable and experienced in the conducting COVID19 screening &
testing, HTS, TB, STI and provision of contraception amongst others etc. Assessing how each facility
conducts every aspect of HTS, TB, STI & COVID19 as well as waste management and data recording.
• A 3-year National diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Nursing Science
• Registration with the South African Nursing Council or HPCSA
• At least 1 – 2years relevant nursing experience
• Experience in the public health sector would be advantageous
• Good interpersonal skills and confidence
• Attentive to detail
• Maintain confidentiality
• Mid-level computer skills essential
• Ability to utilize available data to provide appropriate recommendations;
• A valid driver’s licence essential
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to multi-task combined with ability to prioritize tasks and ability to learn quickly
Duties & Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Service delivery
• Conducting screening as well as testing on COVID19;
• Develop & implement awareness campaigns on COVID19 and other health and safety
programs at campus level with Campus Health & Wellness Coordinators;
• Conducting HIV/TB & STI testing for students and staff;
• Assessment and providing contraception and family planning to students & staff;
• Conducting general health & wellness screening for students and staff;
• Assisting TVET & University structures as well district DOH teams in contact tracing
of COVID19 positive students & staff;
• Linkage students to care on COVID19, HTS, TB & STI and conduct follow ups;
• Travel to respective colleges and universities to conduct screening and testing as part
of fleet management;
• Provide training, coaching & mentoring to Community Healthcare interns.
- Communication and advocacy
• Participate in various trainings with district health, Higher Health training programs;
• Participate in district health forums and AIDS councils with Campus health & wellness
• Participate in local forums with Campus Health & Wellness coordinators;
• Liaise with relevant partners for support;
• Liaison with Health facilities for collection of testing kits, supplies and commodities
as well as delivery of the specimen to the assigned facilities;
• Monitoring the health status of students & staff;
• Set up a schedule for campus clinic visits or mobile testing station visits.
- Health Safety & Wellness
• Developing disease prevention programs, such as smoking cessation, exercise, and
healthy eating programs for students & staff;
• Observing and assessing the work environment for potential dangers and hazards;
Overseeing and implementing emergency and disaster preparedness programs and
• Serving as a gatekeeper for healthcare services, including rehabilitation and disability
matters, GBV, LGBTQI etc.
• Assist with counselling of students on physical and mental health issues and guiding
them toward community resources and/or other assistance programs.
• Maintain general facilities administration at both campus & provincial office level;
• Waste disposal in accordance to health regulations;
• Maintain stock control & administration of storage of supplies & commodities;
• Ensure that specimen handling, collection & delivery is strictly in accordance with
the health regulations;
• Management of assets.
- Data Reporting
• Maintain a register for reporting of stats of students and staff attended to daily;
• Documenting all students & staff illnesses and injuries;
• Developing reports as per DOH and Higher Health reporting templates;
• Submit daily, weekly, monthly reports of student & staff health status as agreed with
Salary for the position is market-related.
Interested candidates should please submit a one-page letter of motivation, CV and the names
and contact details of at least three traceable referees, by close of business on 04 May 2020 to:
email@example.com OR HR@higherhealth.ac.za
In your cover letter, please indicate province by order of preference. Preference will be given
to candidate’s resident in the district/metro where a position is based. The position is subject
to availability of funding and Higher Education and Training Health Wellness and
Development Centre reserves the right not to make an appointment.