This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
First preference will be given to women and PWDs
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : email@example.com
Fax : 0866472434
The closing date is on 25.08.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet Engineering
Position Title : Examiner / Repairer
Employee Group : Non Permanent
Department : Mainten&Service
Location : Komatipoort
Reporting To : Superintendent
Grade Level : I1X
Reference Number : 30012538
The purpose of this position is to examine, maintain and repair
wagons/coaches, trains, wagon components and to support the rolling stock
organisation in meeting its goals in a cost effective manner, to maximise the
availability of rolling stock.
- The Examiner and Repairer have to ensure that wagons, coaches,
trains are repaired and maintained according to the
requirements of the maintenance plan.
- Draw the correct material from the warehouse to fit on a specific
- Ensure that all work performed on rolling stock and rolling stock
components, meets the required quality standards to meet the next
maintenance cycle (Inspections, repairs and maintenance).
- Ensure that external clients adhere to the loading and off-loading of
wagons to prevent damage to wagons.
- Ensure effective communication to internal and external role players
to ensure meeting of required targets and outputs.
- Maintain breakdown equipment re-railing of rolling stock and
knowledge of section duties
- Conduct vacuum and air break test (single and car test).
- Conduct unscheduled and scheduled maintenance
- Execute pre-delivery inspection.
- Certify for wagons, coaches and trains for rail worthiness.
- Conduct mobile team repairs: Breakdowns, welding, tagging of
wagons; modifications of wagons and flame cutting
- Re-oil wagon and components.
- Responsible for field service maintenance and repairs
- Remove and measure brake beams according to specifications to
determine whether they can be reclaimable
- Remove, replace and repair under frame equipment, e.g. couplers,
cylinders, vacuum pipes, slack adjusters, chambers etc
- Remove, replace and repair doors, door extensions, pins, and locking
- Maintain tanker wagons: inspect dome, valves, dome lid, wing nuts
- Document wagon numbers, lifting gates, wind gates, derailment
vehicle report, maintenance pre-inspection report etc.
- Conduct measurements according to specifications to ensure
components will meet the next maintenance cycle
- Trembling of HS bogies
- Testing of coils springs
Qualifications & Experience:
Be qualified as an Examiner and Repairer (examiner repairer certificate)
2 – 3 years’ experience in the Wagon Maintenance environment
Knowledge of all wagons, the commodities
Brake tests (Air Brake & AAR-Single Car Test)
Code 8/10/14 Drivers License & PDP
Rolling stock (wagons)
Depot layout and depot rules
Act 85 and regulations
Vacuum brake testing
PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent. Please report any
suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.
Communication (verbal and written)
Diagnostic ability (analyse and interpret)
Be in possession of a (code 08/10/14) drivers licence and be competent and prepared to drive such a vehicle