This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants in line with Transnet’s
employment equity policy and plan. Candidates will be subjected to an executive management
assessment as well as an intensive vetting process as per the requirements of the job. Part of vetting will
also include lifestyle audit and Social Media Screening.
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : Assessment.Centre@transnet.net
The closing date is on 18.08.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : TPT POD Corporate H/O
Position Title : General Manager: People Management
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Office of CE
Location : Durban
Reporting To : Chief Executive
Grade Level : B
Reference Number : 20200724
Transnet is the largest integrated logistics company in Southern Africa and the custodian of ports, rail and pipelines. The
company has an annual revenue of R72 Billion, an asset base of R369, 8 Billion and 55,000 employees. Transnet’s port, rail
and pipeline infrastructure facilitates the movement of goods from where they are produced to where they are consumed.
This enables trade and connection to export markets. The Company is therefore critical for cost-effective, efficient, and
seamless movement of goods through our economic system. The company’s core mandate is to assist in lowering the cost of
doing business in South Africa, enabling economic growth and ensuring security of supply through providing appropriate
ports, rail and pipeline infrastructure as well as operations in a cost effective and efficient manner, within acceptable
Transnet is also a key implementing agent of the developmental state and must align with Government’s Programme of
Action, which seeks to build a pragmatic and cooperative relationship between government, organised labour, and private
sector stakeholders that can jointly determine a strategic path for state-owned companies to create jobs, enable inclusive
growth and become operationally and financially sustainable.
GENERAL MANAGER PEOPLE MANAGEMENT
Transnet Port Terminals (TPT) seeks to employ a seasoned, ethical and inspirational General Manager: People Management
to design and implement People Management integrated strategy for Transnet Ports Terminals that is aligned to the Transnet
Group’s strategy and compliant with Legislation.
As the General Manager: People Management, the incumbent is responsible to:
• Guide and lead TPT in order to achieve optimum performance, value and instill a culture of service delivery and excellence;
• Participate at TPT Executive Committee to make effective contribution to the Division’s strategy and mandate.
Ensure sound practise in the following fields of People Management:
• People Management Policies, Procedures and Processes
• Reward/Remuneration Strategies
• Salary and Benefits Planning and Administration
• Organisational Development and Culture Change
• Organisational design and optimal Structures
Managing Strategic Relationships – with strategic role players in accordance with business requirements and dependencies:
• TPT Exco
• Transnet Group Executives
• HR Council for Transnet.
• Maritime School of Excellence (MSoE)
• Unions and employees
• Member of National Business Committee – (Custodian)
• Transnet Bargain Council
• Sector Education and Training Authority
• Regulatory Authorities
Manage Governance and Reporting
• Develop and continuously review the TPT HR internal controls.
• Develop and continuously review all other company policies and procedures relation to their implications on the People
• Review delegation of authority and make recommendations.
• Ensure positive audit reports.
• Ensure that the report is developed by the relevant role players containing all relevant information including EEA, SDA,
Labour Relation, within regulatory guidelines.
• Develop and implement risk mitigation actions and initiatives and monitor operations to ensure risks are eradicated or
• Monitor compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements
• Lead, manage and develop a team of professionals, and coach and mentor staff as required
Qualifications & Experience:
• B-degree in a relevant field
• Post Graduate qualification preferable
• Minimum 15 years’ experience, of which at least 8 years at a senior managerial level
• Experience in leading a People portfolio of a company will be an advantage
• Requirement of trust and honesty in the handling of Finances as per the National Credit Act Amendment 19
STANDARD JOB REQUIREMENTS
• Driver’s licence code 8
• Travel as required by the business
• Strategy Thought Partner
• Custodian of Leadership
• Custodian of Change
• Operational Excellence Driver
• Strategy & Sustainability
• Inspirational Leadership
• Business Performance and Delivery
• Relationship Management
• Corporate Governance & Compliance
• Personal Mastery
PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent. Please report any
suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.